Some people are so worried about visiting the dentist they avoid attending regular appointments or getting vital treatment to protect the health of their teeth. This reluctance to see the dentist can be due to a variety of reasons, including:
- Concern about potential pain
- Feeling out of control
- Fear of being judged if their teeth are in poor condition
- Bad childhood experiences
- Strange sounds and smells
- A needle phobia
At Oradent, we pride ourselves on providing excellent patient care. We appreciate a dental visit is not fun for everyone. Please tell us if you are nervous about your visit in advance so we can allow extra time for you. This way, we can take our time and listen to your concerns.
If you have dental anxiety, IV sedation is a safe, effective way to make you feel completely relaxed and more willing to undergo treatment. Your worries will be eliminated, but you will remain conscious and can answer questions so the dentist can treat you more effectively.
- It makes you feel completely relaxed and anxiety-free
- Rapid onset of the calming effects
- The level of sedation can be tailored to suit your needs
- It can help you forget the treatment process
- Allows you to communicate with the dentist
- Your general health, blood pressure, and oxygen levels will be carefully assessed.
- A skinny needle is inserted into a vein in the back of your hand, leaving a soft plastic tube to deliver the sedative gradually. You will be closely monitored throughout the treatment process.
- Additional medication will be required to relieve discomfort, as sedation only calms you and does not relieve pain. However, this will be administered once you are suitably relaxed.
The effects of sedation will take a while to wear off, so you will need someone to take you home and keep an eye on you.